Tuesday, November 8, 2011

COOL TOOLS: Campagnolo Complete Tool Case

My prized circa 1969 Campagnolo Complete Tool Case (click to zoom) 
Upgrading my bicycle repair stand with Park's new 100-3D clamp reminded me to blog about the webpage I just put together for my vintage Campagnolo Complete Tool Case. Above is a teaser photo. My Tool Case is an example of perhaps the ultimate toolkit of all time (Campy also offered a "Reduced" case with fewer tools, and later a toolkit just for their freewheels). There are more images, instructions on how the tools worked, and the story behind this Campy toolkit on my webpage.

Many Campagnolo tool cases exist out there in shops and collections. What I like about mine is its connection to the bicycle shop I worked at and the noteworthy mechanics that became legends there while using these Campy tools. As you can see if you zoom the photo, my toolkit is a little beat-up, but what's nice is that it's one of the ones with a full wood interior instead of the plastic interior Campagnolo went to by the early seventies. And all the tools - even though rough-looking - still work beautifully. Read more on my website.

If you can put an accurate date on my toolkit, offer more information on Campy's kits or have links to one of yours, please post a comment or email me so we can check it out. Thanks!

Jim

3 comments:

Kirk said...

I wish ,i could find something like that!!

Unknown said...

Hi Jim , my name is Dave I have a friend Don which owns Storage Time in Colorado Springs Co. . Around every 3 mounts or so he has auctions and not all always sell and over the course of 15 years or so these storage's have added up to 50 or so . What I do is go through them sell what ever I can and we split the money . The other day I came across a Compagnolo bicycle tool case the large set . Unlike yours it`s the one with the plastic insert and I be leave it`s complete as far as I can tell.
If you happen to know any collectors out there that might be interested in buying the set please send them my way !
Thanks Much,
Dave

Jim Langley said...

Wow, that's a wonderful thing to find in a storage locker, Dave. To sell it, I would recommend putting it on craigslist and facebook marketplace. It's free to list it and with craigslist even if you list it in your area, your ad will be seen all over the country most likely because people will find and it and pass it on to other Campy aficionados. On facebook, you want to join and make sure to list the toolkit on groups like bicycle tools and vintage steel road bikes, etc. In that way you will sell it quick probably. Good luck!
Jim Langley