Sunday, November 11, 2012

René Herse Restoration - 2 more photos

Crankset by René Herse
In my previous post about the René Herse, I forgot to provide photos of what is perhaps the most beautiful component on the bicycle. So here are two pictures of the René Herse crankset that I hope you enjoy.

If you have a René Herse missing its signature crankset, you'll be happy to know that you can now purchase a reproduction and replacement chainrings, too (I'm excited about that because it means I can save my original chainrings and log miles on the reproductions if I want)!

The second photo (below) shows the Herse sealed- and pressed-bearing bottom bracket. Modern bike companies seem to believe that this is a new design, but Herse was doing it decades ago.

You can also see the integrated tube in the bottom bracket shell for the internally routed front derailleur cable and more detail of the extraordinary craftsmanship that went into constructing this frame.


Wanted: Huret Jubilee front derailleur
This bicycle was originally equipped with a Huret Jubilee front derailleur (illustration), not the one shown in the photo.

If you have a Huret Jubilee front derailleur or know where one is, please let me know so that I can get the proper one back on this bike.


Thanks!
Jim
René Herse sealed-, pressed-bearing bottom bracket

No comments: