Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bike To Work Day!

Thursday, October 6 (that's tomorrow!) is Santa Cruz County's Fall Bike to Work/School Day so be sure to pump up those tires, put on your helmet and make a difference - while actually having fun getting around Santa Cruz!

With our many bike paths, recent road improvements for cyclists, lovely weather and scenic ocean views, our area is the perfect place to travel by bike. Plus, during Bike to Work, there are 16 free breakfast sites from Watsonville to UCSC to fuel you with fresh coffee, orange juice and tasty local treats.

If it's been a while since you've ridden around town, you might want to brush up on your safe cycling skills by viewing these two helpful Ecology Action videos that show Santa Cruz roads and tips for making left turns and taking the lane. Also, if your bicycle needs a little TLC, most bicycle shops will do their best to fit you in if you call early and tell them you need your bike checked so you can participate in Bike to Work Day.

I'll see you out there. Have fun!
Jim



2 comments:

Chris said...

I love events like these - I always look forward to Bike to Work week in May, and I'm glad it's happening in October now too. A couple years ago, I decided I wanted to bike commute to work, but it had been such a long time since I had ridden a bike, I was a little apprehensive about it. Luckily though, when Bike to Work week rolled around, there were a ton of other people doing it too, so it made it easy to get going (and snacks never hurt either). I've since moved on from my old 10-speed I was riding back then, and now I have a folding bike which makes commuting even easier for me, since it leaves the option of public transit open, even during rush hour. I think a folding bike, combined with a ride to work event, can be a great way for people to ease into commuting.

Jim Langley said...

Folding bikes are a great option for sure, Chris. Thanks for mentioning them. My favorite is my Brompton . But a lot of bike shops today stock folding bike so just calling around you can usually find some to try out. It's good to check out how they fold and how small they get so that if you have special needs (like you drive a car with a tiny trunk), you can see if the bike you picked will fit. Thanks for the comment!
Jim